This Coconut Cake is from the "Barefoot Contessa at Home" cookbook by Ina Garten. It is a wonderful, thick cake with cream cheese frosting. I made the flowers with royal icing--violets, pansies, roses, and mums. Continue for recipe.
Coconut Cake and Frosting
Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa at Home
3 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup milk
4 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
2 sticks butter, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 pound confectioner's sugar
6 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9 inch pans for baking.
2. Using paddle attachement on mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium high for 3-5 min., until light yellow and fluffy.
3. Crack eggs into small bowl. With mixer on medium, add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl once.
4. Add vanilla and almond extracts; mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients.
6. With mixer on low, alternate adding dry ingredients then milk in 3 parts, begining and ending with dry.
7. Mix until just combined--don't overmix.
8. Fold in coconut.
9. Bake 45-55 min. Cool 30 min.
10. Frosting: Mix cream cheese, butter, and extracts on low. Add sugar slowly (don't whip). Frosting cake. Sprinkle tops/sides with coconut.