Monday, June 16, 2008

Tuesday's with Dorie Rewind: Bill's Big Carrot Cake


It's Tuesday again and that means another recipe from Baking: From My Home to Yours! This week, the selection was a delicious looking peppermint puff ring. As you can tell by my photo, I was side-tracked by a previous recipe. And I noticed that it is acceptable to make past recipe trials, so I decided I just had to make a carrot cake for Father's Day. I'll have to get back to the yummy looking puff another time soon!

This is a big, beautiful looking carrot cake, filled with nuts, coconut, and raisins. The three layers are very moist and bake nicely and it certainly makes for an impressive presentation. It was good, but definitely not my favorite carrot cake. I guess I was wanting something spicier. As this cake only contains cinnamon, it didn't quite taste like a spice cake. And I'm not a fan of all of the coconut. If I were it make it again, I would add spices, omit the coconut, and increase the amount of raisins. That being said, it was still a very good cake.


But I absolutely LOVE the icing!! In fact, the icing took over the cake--yum! I could eat a bowl of this stuff! It's just a simple mixture of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and lemon extract--but it is terrific! I will definitely be featuring this lemon icing on many sweets to come! It would be wonderful on cinnamon rolls, or chocolate cake, or.....Yum!
Type rest of the post here

5 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Mmmm. Carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. Mmmm. I went with pound cake myself this week.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the frosting on this cake too, but I like my mom's carrot cake recipe better. Your cake looks great!

Anonymous said...

I definitely had to jack up the spices on mine, but this recipe makes great cupcakes. Your layers look perfect! Nice job.

Jacque said...

Mmmmm, that does look scrumptious! I agree with you on the cream cheese icing... YUM!

Great pics and a great job!

Jaime said...

it looks great! i have another carrot cake recipe in my blog that even professed coconut haters like!