Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mango Chutney



My first canning experience! I'm so excited! It worked! I bought a large box of sweet Ataulfo Mexican mangoes at an outdoor market and wanted to try this chutney that I saw on Simply Recipes. It's a sweet condiment with a nice flavor from the ginger, raisins, and onions. I love it on turkey sandwiches, roasted chicken, and grilled pork. I haven't tried it yet with fish, but I think it would go really nicely in fish tacos. Interesting! Continue for recipe.

Mango Chutney
C&H Sugar

2 cups sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
6 cups mangoes (4 to 5), peeled and cut in 3/4-inch pieces (See How to Cut a Mango)
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (hot)

1 Combine sugar and vinegar in a 6 quart pot; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.

2 Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally during cooking.

3 Pour into clean, hot jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace; close jars. Process in a water bath 15 minutes.

Makes 6 (1/2 pint) jars

No comments: