Monday, March 16, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Yogurt Muffins


I really like to have homemade baked goods in the morning. It's so easy to grab a muffin or a slice of bread or coffeecake to eat in the car with my coffee on the way to work. And, because my husband doesn't usually eat these, I can freeze most of the batch and then just thaw them one by one.

This muffin recipe is just ok--not very sweet which is nice, but the texture was a bit too heavy for me. They were moist though, and actually tasted better on the 3rd day, allowing the oats to soften and the spices to blend in. I adapted this recipe from a yogurt carton, adding orange zest, dried cranberries, cinnamon, and cloves. I really like that flavor combination, but next time will go for a different base. Continue for recipe.

Oatmeal Raisin Yogurt Muffins

1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
1 cup yogurt
1/2 t vanilla
1 egg
2 T oil
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 10 muffin tins.
Stir together dry ingredients.
In a measuring cup, whisk together wet ingredients.
Stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
Divide the batter into the 10 muffin cups and bake for about 25 min.

2 comments:

Mom, Wife, and, Student said...

OHHH! These sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

You could try substituting buttermilk for the yogurt and soak your rolled oats for about 15 minutes first. I have a recipe for blueberry muffins I make like this and they turn out great.